How can I send messages?
You can send messages to individual participants (via their ID), a list of participants (via a comma separated list of IDs) or in bulk to all participants who took part in a study.
There are a few ways to do this within the Prolific interface:
- Compose a new message from here, and enter the Prolific ID of the participant you wish to contact in the "User ID" field.
- Reply directly to any messages you've received from participants from your Prolific inbox.
- From your study's Submissions page, you have the option to message a comma-separated list of Prolific IDs in bulk. To do this, click the "More" drop-down menu above your listed submissions, then go to "Bulk message". Enter the list of Prolific IDs in the top field, and the message you wish to send in the bottom.
- You also have the option to click "Message all" from your Submissions page, which will send a message to all participants who have a submission in that study (including Returned and Timed-Out submissions).
- Alternatively, you can message selected participants from your study's Submissions page, by selecting participants with the tick box on the left-hand side and clicking "Message selected". This may be useful for sending custom reminders for longitudinal studies.
How does it work for participants?
- Participants will be notified by email when they receive a message, and they will also receive a notification within the Prolific site when logged in.
- The emails are sent from Prolific and the email addresses of both researchers and participants are protected so neither party can access this personal information.
You have the ability to Archive messages, so that they are removed from your Prolific inbox when no further action is required.
Sending emails to participants
- You can also send emails to participants from your external email client, by using an email address of the form "email@example.com".
- For example, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and the participant "58dbb652520ca20001e87f23" will receive the email as if you sent them a message through the Prolific interface.
- Please note: Participants do not have a Prolific email account, this is just provided as a way for our researchers to contact participants while outside of the app. Participants should not be asked to use this 'email address' in any studies
- The email address from which you send an email using an external client must be registered to a Prolific account for the email to be delivered successfully.
- The messaging system cannot be relied upon for running studies; we recommend the "Schedule Publish" feature. This means only scheduling one study per session in advance. Or otherwise send the emails as messages directly through Prolific, as explained above.
- The messaging system shouldn't be used to send participants a link to your Prolific study page for IDs on your "allow list"; participants will be notified of the study by email and can also access the study once logged in via their Studies dashboard.
- Messages are formatted in plain text and we therefore advise that you send plain text emails. If you send a rich text or HTML email to a participant, please be aware that there may be formatting inconsistencies due to the plain text conversion.