What is the impact of adding a VAT number to my Prolific account:
Researchers based in countries which are part of the EU VAT regime:
- If you are from a European country outside of the UK, and are purchasing on behalf of a VAT (value added tax) registered institution, it is important to add their VAT number to your account to ensure the correct VAT treatment. Failure to do this in advance often results in delays in getting invoices paid/reimbursed by finance departments. Most businesses and universities are registered for VAT, but if you are unsure we recommend speaking to your finance department.
- Once you have added a valid VAT number, your invoices will be subject to reverse-charge VAT. This means no VAT will be included in the invoice total and instead any VAT is accounted for by your institution.
Researchers based in the UK
- There is no obligation to add your institution's VAT number to your Prolific account. If you are based in the UK, VAT will be charged at 20% on all of our service fees regardless of whether there is a VAT number held on your Prolific account. If your institution would like their VAT number to appear on invoices produced from your account, you can follow the steps to add your VAT number below.
Researchers based outside of the EU VAT regime
- If you are based in a country which is not part of the EU VAT regime then you will not need to add a VAT number.
How to add your VAT number:
You can add the VAT number to your account and future invoices from your 'Account' page. Here, you can also add your institutional address, which will appear on the invoice too.
Please note that your account cannot have multiple VAT statuses at any one time and therefore you can only add a VAT number if:
- your account balance is nil;
- you have no active studies (studies which are published, but not completed); and
- you have no saved draft studies (studies which are created, but not published)
If the above conditions are not met, you will receive a notification that you need to contact support to change these details.
You won't need to contact support if you just need to delete your draft studies or complete any active studies, as these can both be done from the 'studies' section of your account.
If you would like to request a refund of your balance, or if you need any help, then you can get in touch with our Support team.